Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Making Memories

As I sit here to write this, it's a balmy 60 degrees out, rainy and feeling much like a fall day. I think everyone in Boston was expecting we'd have to go pull out our winter clothes a little earlier than expected. And so because of this, I think Jarrett and I got to thinking about the holidays.

We've decided that spending Christmas with both of our families is important to us. Until we were married, we had not spent a single Christmas together because we both wanted to be with our families. Last year, I went to Virginia to celebrate my first Christmas as a Britt...with the Britts! It was truly wonderful, and at the same time a little strange to be out of my normal routine (and if you know me, you know I don't do well with change). It also made us realize how nice it would be to start our own tradition. Host Christmas at our house.

So this year, we'll be doing our own take. I can't wait for the castastrophe that is sure to happen. I can't wait for the stories for years to come. I can't wait for our first holiday, in our very first home. I'm confident the dogs will ruin something, there will be a dish that is cold, or a turkey not quite cooked. But I also can't wait for us to create these memories and bring both of our families together.

Next up, embrace Martha Stewart. And maybe have some practice rounds in September and October?

No comments:

Post a Comment